Editor’s note: This week the Tiki Tiki essays will focus on decluttering, organizing, detoxing — all the good stuff.
By Marcela Beatty
I could see myself.
I was surrounded by papers, clothes and toys. A big glass of diet coke and a package of Oreo cookies to my side.
All of a sudden, I was in tears.
Was this me?
I had emptied every drawer, cabinet and closet (looking for my passport) only to find what a mess I had been hiding. Every struggle, bad habit and carelessness hidden behind doors… yet open for me to see.
It was time for change.
Slowly, I’ve been cleaning my life.
Inside and Out.
I have sorted through every paper, every toy, piece of clothing, and piece of trash.
The 5-year-old lipstick has been thrown out… the top that I swore I would eventually wear but haven’t in the last 10 years…
My body needed it too. No caffeine, dairy, gluten, sugar, or processed food…. a whole lot of veggies is pretty much what I have been consuming.
And yoga. It’s been kicking my butt.
And less media time.
It is a detox, a cleansing, the start of new life….whatever you want to call it.
The diet has been the hardest. Some days are good, some a struggle, and some days I give in to that craving (reminding myself that I’m not perfect) only to find that it really wasn’t worth it. I have also found myself reaching for things I shouldn’t during times of stress, when I am tired or when I’m upset.
I’ve been keeping a journal and writing it down has let it come to light and I am slowly finding out how important it is for your diet to feel positive.
I have been following Whole Living’s 28 day detox plan…and somehow I was able to get through the whole plan. It’s challenging, yet you will feel amazing! I will continue with a modified plan, I owe it to myself and my family.
Some things I have learned along the way:
- Start a journal. Write down things that happened that day, daily stresses, good times and how you feel before and after you eat. You will soon find how much your mood affects your eating.
- Plan! Plan what you will eat today. Plan your exercise. Plan your day. It seriously takes minutes.
- Drink water…and lot’s and lot’s of tea.
- Smoothies for breakfast (you can pack a whole lot veggies and fruits, and pretty soon your whole family will be enjoying them as well). Carrie has some great green smoothie suggestions.
- Include your family, a cookbook recommendation… Feeding The Whole Family: Cooking With Whole Foods.
- Exercise daily, even on days when you just aren’t feeling it…take a 15 minute walk. Bring the kids with you on their bikes….they will love you.
- Yoga. It works wonders. Forget how strong you will feel after a month…. your mood! You will feel good and I guarantee there will be less screaming in your home. (Check out these yoga posts/exercises from Shape magazine.)
- Take it slow. Your body deserves to be taken care of. And your mind does too. Any step is a step forward.
Happy eating. Happy cleaning. Happy yoga.
Amigas… lo merecemos!!!
Marcela Beatty, originally from El Salvador, lives in Pasadena, Ca. She publishes Culture Mami, works as an ICU nurse and raises two beautiful children with her husband.