web analytics
Black Velvet
December 16, 2012 – 3:09 pm | 17 Comments

Childhood memories are vivid, almost indescribable in their detail, and impossible to forget. A Christmas memory I have is that of a black velvet dress  a family friend gave to me for my seventh Christmas.
The …

Read the full story »
casa + cultura

The sabor of Latino living.

dichos + del alma

Inspiration and reflection.

el buzz

News and pop culture.

foto + video

See us. See yourself.

the habla habla

Our stories.

Home » el buzz

El Diario: Happiness and Robert Redford

Submitted by on May 19, 2009 – 8:25 amNo Comment

el diario from freefoto.comHispanics are berry, berry hoppy, according to a Forbes story on The Harris Poll Happiness Index.

Celebrate this: Thirty-six (36%) of Hispanics — or Latinos, whatever you want to call yourself — told pollsters this year that they are happy, that’s a jump from 32% last year. Black Americans are happy too, with a jump from 35% last year to 41% this year. The happiness index for white, non-Latino Americans remained the same as last year: 35%. 

Overall, 35% of Americans are very happy. Are you wondering what is up with the other 65 percent?  Maybe they just need more mojitos and merengue in their lives?

Not only are we happy, but optimistic about college being within reach for our children.

A newly released poll by OppenheimerFunds Inc. found 72 percent of Hispanics, compared with 63 percent of non-Hispanics, believe college is in reach for anyone who wants to attend.  Nearly all — or 95 percent — of Hispanics said they see sending their children to college as an “essential part of the American dream,” right up there with owning a home and having a comfortable retiro. 

However, the survey also found that just 9% of Latino have $20,000 or more for saved for college, a much lower figure when compared with 20% of non-Hispanic families.

One more reason to love Robert Redford: The actor and director is launching “Sundance in New Mexico” to train Hispanic and Native American filmmakers.

The Sundance partnership is with the state’s Department of Cultural Affairs and the New Mexico Film Office.

Redford, who directed “The Milagro Beanfield War” in 1988 in New Mexico, said his love of the state “goes back many, many years.”

A story by the Associated Press said Redford has been interested in Hispanic culture ever since his was one of the few Anglo families living in an Hispanic, working-class area of Los Angeles.

And as proof that all families, regardless of ethnicity are strange and entertaining, go visit the hottest site on the web these days: Awkward Family Photos. I’m thinking we all have quite a few to contribute, eh? I”m thinking Quince shots.

Finalmente, as I was trolling the Web for news today, I discovered that ABC News Exclusiva doesn’t think there’s been any Latino news since 2008. Go see.

Share, por favor!

Leave a comment!

Add your comment below, or trackback from your own site. You can also subscribe to these comments via RSS.

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

This is a Gravatar-enabled weblog. To get your own globally-recognized-avatar, please register at Gravatar.

CommentLuv badge