Guava, Guava Everywhere. (Video)
Bon Appetit, one of my favorite cooking magazines published a recipe for Rose Sangria with Pineapple and Guava in its June 2009 issue. I made it for a dinner party and it was a hit, let me tell you.
I was intrigued guava was on the pages of Bon Appetit, and have noticed in recent weeks that the humble tropical guava, or guayaba, we grew up with in Miami is gaining in chic chic and going all mainstream.
I am seeing it in everything from pastry recipes to delicious fancy cupcakes in Miami to tea, home fragrance and body butter. I did a double take when I saw Welch’s Guava Pineapple juice in my local Publix. I confess to being addicted to it at the moment. (It’s also an easy cheat to that sangria recipe above!) Sadly, I can’t get the frozen pulp here anymore and make do with nectars. I admit to not buying the whole fruit, which is available here.
Ay, madre, what I would not do for a guava and cream cheese pastelito right now. Like, right now.
At our casa in Tennessee, we’re getting ready to make our famous Port Wine Guava Glaze by Douglas Rodriguez for the Thanksgiving bird, so forgive me if I have guava on the brain. So, I went looking for recipes and cool new products that feature la guayaba as the main player and look at all I found, y’all. Guava, guava everywhere.
Viva la guayaba! It’s good for you too, with a lot more vitamin C than an orange. Hello, medicinal and healing and delicious guava!
Guava Drinks and Snacks
- O.N.E. coconut water drink with pink guava.
- Naked Juice Peach Guava smoothie with coconut water. They say it has 35% fewer calories than regular smoothies. Trendy, trendy all around.) Had it, loved it.
- Izze, which makes sparkling juice drinks, introduced guava in April. I didn’t see it on their website, but will go haunt Whole Foods in search. (Updated: The flavor was a summer 2010 drink only, according to Izze.)
- A friend from South Africa buys these dried guava fruit rolls at the local international grocery and they’re awesome. As good as guava paste.
- Gourmet magazine did a cream cheese and guava pastry in June. Probably not as good as Marta’s Cuban guava and creme cheese pastelitos. These are approved by Desi Arnaz, Jr., after all.
- Guava and Manchego Phyllo Pouches with Passion Fruit Syrup, not a new recipe, but have it on the favorites list. .
- Marta’s Guava Cheesecake (To die for!)
- Tickled Pink Tropical “Iced Tea” cocktail made for the ladies at Love, Feast, Table. Yowza.
- Trapp Guava Mango Home Fragrance Mist
- Island Guava jar by Yankee Candle.
- Beauty products:
- Hawaiian Ruby Guava Body Butter from Pacifica.
- Korres Guava Lipstick .
- Passionfruit Guava lip gloss from Bath & Body Works.
Who the heck knew that something I could not get anyone outside of Miami to try (“Here, eat this thick, sticky, sweet paste, you’ll love it!) would one day be so everywhere. It’s even in Gucci perfume, gente. If that is not proof the guayaba has arrived, I don’t know what is.
Now, I wait for the guanabana to get trendy.
What guava fabulousness have I missed?
Watch this video to see why we Cubans so nuts about pastelitos.
Here’s a healthy guava smoothie.