On New Year’s Eve, at the stroke of midnight, we Cubans are BUSY.
- Quickly eat 12 grapes – one for each month of the past year.
- Wash these down with sparkling cider to celebrate the end of the old year.
- (Mop the floors earlier in the day and…) Throw the bucket of dirty water out the front door to symbolize getting rid of all the bad juju from the past year.
- Put a suitcase outside the front door if we are hoping to travel in the new year.
- Put some money in the mailbox to attract more money and prosperity.
As you can see, I’m ready with all my Cuban superstitions traditions for the New Year.
And yes, I’ll be wearing my red underwear for luck because I’m not taking any chances. (That was a total over-share, wasn’t it?)
Happy New Year from the TikiTiki!
Do you have any fun New Year traditions that you’d like to share? Please tell me.