How to Show Everyone What Great Taste You Have
Here’s a pop quiz for you:
Question. What happens when you take impossibly rich homemade ice cream and you add dulce de leche to it?
The correct answer is: The Awesomeness That is Homemade Dulce de Leche Ice Cream.
Homemade Dulce de Leche Ice Cream
1 can Dulce de leche
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
6 large egg yolks
1. In a medium heavy saucepan, combine: 3/4 cup dulce de leche, the cream, milk, and sugar.
2. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. When it just starts to boil, remove from heat.
3. Beat the egg yolks in a medium bowl.
4. Whisk 1 cup of the hot cream mixture slowly into the eggs.
5. Now, slowly add this egg mixture back into the original pan of hot cream in a slow stream.
6. Cook over medium/low heat, stirring occasionally, until it thickens (about 5 minutes).
7. Remove from heat and strain through a fine mesh strainer into a clean bowl.
8. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing down to keep skin from forming.
9. Refrigerate until well chilled – about 2 hours.
10. Remove from refrigerator and pour into the bowl of an ice cream machine and freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions.
11. When the ice cream is nearly completely thickened, spoon in the remaining 1/4 cup dulce de leche to create a swirl in the ice cream.
12. Transfer to airtight container and freeze until ready to serve.
13. Practice looking a little confused and saying, “Oh, it was nothing.” =D
(originally posted in another form on MBFCF)