What Have You Done for You Lately, Nena?
By Angelica Perez
Are you a “superwoman?”
Going from one place to another.
Taking care of this, that, him and her, and everything and everyone in between.
There is nothing glamorous about being a superwoman. No one really cares. There is no medal or award for all the effort. Yes, “you” may feel good about doing so much, but that good feeling is usually short-lived. Why? Because it is solely based on how much you for others.
So, I ask you: What have You done for You lately? Especially in this holiday season of giving, appreciation and celebration.
- When was the last time you drank a tall, large glass of cold water (or bottle)? Water is so good for you…
- When was the last time you slept in (on a work day!) until 12 noon? (and you had the place ALL to yourself!)
- When was the last time you had a 60 minute professional massage? (Human touch is undeniably powerful and therapeutic)
- When was the last time you took a full hour of lunch? (not 30 or 50 minutes…)
- When was the last time you spent at least 2 hours practicing your past/current favorite hobby, the one thing everyone knows you’re so passionate about?
- When was the last time you went dancing, or sat down at a downtown jazz bar soaked in the live music.
- When was the last time you saw a Broadway show (or off-Broadway) or a play, or went to see live theater?
- When was the last time you had sex and allowed yourself to enjoy it FULLY, without thinking about what he/she was thinking, feeling, wanting, expecting or waiting for?
- When was the last time you took 20 minutes to listen to a meditation segment and relaxed your stress away?
- When was the last time you allowed your children to cook you breakfast or lunch, so that you can rest or read a book?
- When was the last time you asked for help — for anything: cleaning, childcare, work, groceries? Without feeling guilty or being controlling…
- When was the last time you let the house go, let things get dirty and crazy because you needed a break, or needed a nap?
- When was the last time you asked your partner for a warm, long embrace, and placed your head on his/her shoulder?
Now, what are You going to do for You today?
In this holiday season of giving, appreciation and celebration, I dedicate this post (and this video of Alicia Keys singing Superwoman) to all women who do too much for others, and very little for themselves. May the video and the questions above, inspire you to do at least one thing for number one: You.
Angelica Perez, Ph.D. is a Latina, Mother, Wife, Daughter, Sister, Friend, Mentor, Writer and a Music-Loving Ivy League Educated Psychologist. She has dedicated her career to helping women feel good about themselves and live a happier, more empowered life. Visit her site, Salon Angelica, for inspiration and tips for healthy and balanced living.